As a college senior beginning your final semester and maybe yet to find (or start looking for) your first post-college job, it can be difficult to decide which opportunities to pursue. By staying mindful of the resources around you, you’ll be able to make the most out of your remaining months as a student, and head into your job search prepared and optimistic. Here are three tips to ensure you’re getting all you can out of your final semester.
Leverage relationships with former and current professors.
- It’s likely that your professors – regardless of major – have plenty of experience guiding students toward an ideal job or opportunity. Professors all have office hours, and utilizing these short visits may lead you to a networking meet-up, a good reference letter, a new person to connect with, or even a job opening. Professors may be willing to help you modify your school work or take on extra projects that would boost your resume or portfolio. Nurturing these relationships will not only help you now, but may also be beneficial down the road.
- Don’t forget about your college’s career services center.
- Research performed with Avenica applicants shows that many college graduates lean heavily on job posting sites (75% use this resource “very often”) at the expense of Career Services office (only 17%). The knowledgeable professionals in these offices can assist you with resume-writing, interview tips and can connect you with companies looking to hire graduates. In addition, this office will often host career fairs or employer visits, many including alumni recruiters looking to fill their companies with graduates from your specific school.
Take advantage of companies and information services offering valuable (and free!) resources.
- There are many companies, including Avenica, that sincerely want to help graduates find the right career, and will do so at no expense to the student. Whether it’s an online assessment that helps you discover roles that correlate to your interest and strengths, or a more personalized process of identifying and matching your transferable skills to specific client openings (Avenica), you will be surprised at the outside resources you will find.
While there’s no perfect formula for finding a job immediately upon graduation, by considering these three opportunities that are readily available to you at your college or university, you’ll set yourself up for success.
- For more than twenty years, Avenica has been the leading U.S. recruiting firm exclusively focused on placing recent college graduates into entry-level, career-track positions. Learn more about our process, or upload your resume to be considered for an open position with one of our amazing clients.